Myopia Control, Corneal Reshaping (Orthokeratology), and Corneal Refractive Therapy
Ortho-K (short for Orthokeratology) is a non-surgical, FDA-approved, procedure for correcting myopia (nearsightedness) by gently reshaping the curvature of the cornea with special contact lenses that are worn overnight. The result is great vision during the day without using contact lenses or glasses!
Patients undergoing Ortho-K will experience clear vision during the day without contact lenses or eyeglasses. However, the results depend on the patient’s continuous night-time wear of the special lenses regularly to maintain clear vision during the day.
Dr. Vadim Guy, OD, specializes in myopia control and is a certified provider of Ortho-K in the Rochester area for both adults and children. Contact our office today to schedule an Ortho-K Consultation for yourself or your child.
Who is a good candidate for Ortho-K?
- Ortho-K can be effective on farsighted, nearsighted (myopic), and astigmatic patients. Ideally, the prescription should be in the range of +2.00 to -6.00 with no more than -1.75 diopters of surface astigmatism. In some cases patients with higher prescriptions may benefit as well.
How long does it take to achieve better vision?
- This depends on the prescription, age, and treatment goals. Higher prescriptions can take 2-4 weeks to achieve good vision for adults. Children’s corneas are more easily molded therefore the results in children are usually quicker. Some patients are experiencing better vision just after one night of wearing the special lenses.
Is Ortho-K right for you or your child?
- Do you wear glasses or contact lenses for nearsightedness?
- Are you interested in LASIK but not quite ready, or not old enough?
- Are you unable to wear daytime contacts due to allergies, dry eye, or other sensitivities?
- Do you feel like contacts or glasses prevent you from enjoying sports, working out, hiking, swimming, or skiing?
- Do you have progressing myopia that requires a stronger glasses/contacts prescription every year?
- Do you have trouble wearing contacts all day?
- Do you feel limited in the activities & sports because of the glasses?
- Are you diagnosed with mild to moderate myopia?
- Do you dislike wearing glasses and wish you could see clearly during the day without glasses?
If you or your child answered “Yes” to any of these questions then you may be a candidate for Ortho-K! Call us at 585-427-0780, or contact us online, to schedule an Ortho-K Consultation for yourself or your child. Dr. Guy will take the time to explain everything in detail during the consultation.